Circus Circus Sustainability Fact Sheet
Circus Circus is dedicated to the preservation of our planet's precious resources through the adoption of environmentally sustainable practices. Circus Circus was awarded 4 out of 5 keys in the Green Key Eco-Rating programs, which evaluated resorts based on their green operations. Below are some highlights of our most recent accomplishments.
- Energy and Water Conservation
- Green Building
- Waste and Recycling Management
- Supply Chain
- Outreach and Education
Energy and Water Conservation
- Since water is a precious resource, we have implemented a towel and linen reuse program. Please take note of the card conveniently placed in the guestrooms that explains how you can help save water by reusing your towels and linens.
- A retrofit of the Lucky the Clown marquee on Las Vegas Blvd. involved replacing more than 15,000 incandescent bulbs with energy efficient fluorescent panels. The resulting energy savings is equivalent to the annual usage of nearly 200 average American homes.
- The heating and cooling equipment at Circus Circus were upgraded with energy efficient technology such as combustion controls for the large hot water boilers and variable frequency drives for the cold air chillers. These upgrades save natural gas and reduce the need for electricity at peak periods of demand.
- In 2012, in an effort to conserve natural resources, Circus Circus Las Vegas installed Dyson hand dryers throughout Adventure Dome restrooms.
Waste and Recycling Management
- As of July 2013, Circus Circus is approaching a 30% monthly diversion rate, while the 2012 recycling rate was nearly 20% with over 1,000 tons of diverted recyclables.
- In 2010, Circus Circus became a partner of the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) WasteWise program, which promotes prevention and recycling of municipal solid waste and select industrial materials.
- Trash is sorted for recycling behind the scenes, diverting thousands of tons of recyclables from the landfill each year, like cardboard, glass, aluminum, paper, food, plastic, wood, grease, and horticulture waste.
- Since 2012, Circus Circus Las Vegas has purchased over 60,000 pens containing a minimum of 75% post-consumer content. MGM Resorts is projected to purchase over 6.4 million environmentally-conscious pens annually.
- Plastic retails bags made available to property guests contains a minimum of 30% post-consumer content.
- Paper towel rolls found throughout our property contains 70% recycled content, while toilet tissue contains 100% recycled content.
- To help eliminate packaging and emissions, condiments and food items like jam, cereal, yogurt, salad dressings, and butter can be found in bulk containers at the property Employee Dining Room (EDR).
- Whenever possible, we purchase glue, paint, and carpeting with low volatile organic compounds (VOCs), thus promoting a sustainable and healthy work and guest environment.
Outreach and Education
- TripAdvisor® awarded Circus Circus Las Vegas a Bronze GreenLeaders™ designation, a status based on "green" practices that the resort has in place.
- An interactive and educational Green Wall was installed at the entrance of the Employee Dining Room (EDR) to help educate employees about Green Advantage, MGM Resorts' company-wide environmental responsibility platform.
- The employee Club Ride program encourages car pooling and the use of alternative transportation for commuting to work.
- Newsletters and weekly sustainability tips educate Circus Circus employees about benefits of green activities.
- Internal Green Fairs, in conjunction with the Green Advantage campaigns, engage employees with ways to save natural resources through the adoption of sustainable habits in their personal lives.
or reservations can be made by calling: 1-877-434-9175